Thursday, July 31, 2014

Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice Review

Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen Adapted by Stacy King

Rating (out of 5): 5
Genre: Manga/Romance
Release Date: August 11, 2014
Series: None
Series Volume:N/A
Profanity: none
Violence: None
Sexual Content:Very Mild
Age Recommendation: 14+
Author Website: http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/tag/manga-classics/

Summary:


Beloved by millions the world over, Pride & Prejudice is delightfully transformed in this bold new manga adaptation. All of the joy, heartache, and romance of Jane Austen’s original, perfectly illuminated by the sumptuous art of manga-ka Po Tse, and faithfully adapted by Stacy E. King.


Review:

I was so excited to get to read this manga adaptation of one of my favorite books, Pride and Prejudice. This adaptation turned out to be very well done. I loved the art and really enjoyed the way the story was told. As with all adaptations the entire story didn't make it in, but all of the important parts did and there were very few things changed from the original story. 

Stacy King did a great job of keeping true to what Jane Austin wanted to say in Pride and Prejudice. The entire feel of the manga version was much the same as the feel of the book and I really appreciated that. I hate it when a great book is adapted and the main theme is left out to focus on humor or something of the sort. So I was very pleased to find the same themes from Pride and Prejudice woven into this adaptation. 

I was a little disappointed not to see a few of my favorite scenes from the book but overall Stacy King did a good job of hitting on the one's that did make it in. The art was amazing, though there were a few times that character's expressions were a little over the top. I felt like I'd stepped into a comical horror story when two characters (mostly Elizabeth and Darcy) would run into each other and look shocked. Although this could just be my perception from reading it on a smaller screen. Those few moments may flow better on a physical page rather than on a tiny i-phone screen. 

Overall I was very pleased with this adaptation and would recommend it to any Jane Austin fan or anyone interested in seeing what Pride and Prejudice is all about.

Note: I received an electronic copy of this book from Netgalley for my fair and honest opinion as I have stated above. 

~Dawn 



No comments:

Post a Comment